Beautifulgist

Your Deserved Information

FG begins second phase of digital switchover in Lagos, and other states

The federal government has announced that it will expand the second phase of the digital switchover to four more states two years after it was launched in six states.

The switchover, DSO, aims to transform the nationwide television broadcasting system from the current analogue to digital mode.

Jose (April 30, 2016), Abuja (December 22, 2016), Ilorin (December 20, 2017), Katuna (December 22, 2017), Enugu (February 12, 2018), Osogbo (February 23, 2018).

Distributed under the free TV brand name, the DSO has become a growing digital television intruder during this period and has been translated into high-quality television service in those states.

Creating jobs in the creative, set-top box manufacturing and retail sectors are other achievements so far; Create a government toilet and a push ward service for homes in Nigeria that provide a safe toilet for delivering Hollywood movies to Nigerians.

In the second phase, the program will be launched in the states of Lagos, Kano, Rivers, Yobi and Gombe, said Armstrong Idachaba, acting director-general of the National Broadcasting Commission in Nigeria.

So the new timetable starts on April 29, 2021, in Lagos State, on June 3, 2021, in Cano State and on July 8, 2021, in Reverse State; These states will first switch off Yobi State on July 15, 2021, and Gombe State on August 12, 2021, ”he said.

“After this rollout, signal suppliers are expected to complete the installation of additional transmitters and gap fillers to achieve 70% to 80% coverage of the six existing locations in the first period.”

He said the first analogue switch-off will take place on May 28 in Abuja. The remaining Phase 1 states, Plateau, Kaduna, Kwara, Elephant and Osun, will follow in June, August and September 2021.

This means that from the date of the analogue switch-off, the television broadcast will only be available in DSO-approved set-top boxes.

An adequate supply of these boxes will be available from authorized setup box manufacturers for these locations.

He said the DSO timetable was ready for the public to switch off in Abuja for the first time in two months.

The analogue switch to the remaining five locations in Phase 1 is expected to be completed by the end of 2021.

2021 after the start of the second phase rollout by changing the states of Lagos, Canoe and Rivers from April to July; It will take 4 to 5 months to turn off each switch and enough public manufacturing will be allowed, ”he said.

By the end of the first quarter of 2022, Lagos, Cano, Rivers, Yobi, Gombe, Emo, Aqua Ibom, Oyo, Gigawa and Ebony were the other 10 states under the state.

Read Also: No state will be left out of Digital Switchover – Minister

The third phase switch-on will begin in December 2021 and the final analogue switch-off (ASO) will end on December 8.

Earlier, News and Culture Minister Lai Mohammed said DSO would provide Nigeria $ 1.1 billion once completed, with analogue switch-off time digital terrestrial television (DTT) and direct-to-home (DTH) satellite signal coverage.

“Before we turn off the analogue in any state, we make sure that the digital terrestrial television (DTT) signal is present in at least 70% of the population in that state and the remaining 30% is the direct-to-home (DTH) satellite signal. Once the analogue signal is switched off, no one in the system receives the television signals.

Due to the topography of some areas, such as the Federal Capital Territory, the DTT signal is unable to effectively cover such areas. In such cases, we execute DTH satellite signals to areas that do not fall within the scope of DTT signals.

By completing the DTT expansion with DTH satellite signals, we will ensure that no one leaves the DSO,” he said.

The minister said his ministry would consult the Ministry of Industry, Commerce and Investment to reduce the tariff on raw materials for the manufacture of set boxes in Nigeria, to ensure the affordable price of a decoder.

We targeted a zero per cent tariff for completely demolished parts and no more than a 5 per cent tariff for semi-knocked parts. Semi-knocked parts. By doing so, we will ensure that set-top boxes are available to the average Nigerian, ”he said.

He said the federal government would support channel owners and content providers by implementing an audience measurement system.

Leave a Reply